Saturday, October 03, 2009

Warhammer 40K Terrain Part I: Manufactorum

I have been busy the last few weeks working on urban terrain for the Warhammer 40K universe. I got started by purchasing the excellent Imperial Sector set that is the heaviest box of hobby material I've ever received in the mail!

First up is the Manufactorum- the hot forges of the Imperium that churn out the wares of war in a restless galaxy. It was a fun kit to assemble, but even more fun to paint! I decided on a gun metal basecoat for the structure, which I thought was fitting for its purpose. I added some detail by concocting a custom "rust" wash from deep reed, steel and brown colored paints(which I thinned with water before applying).

Here is a close-up of one of the wall panels. The pipes, wires, rivets and valves detailing that GW put into the kit is beautiful!

I decided on a pretty standard "corner building" construction for the piece, as can be seen in this side view.

Here is a look at the interior with a Space Marine Scout for size reference. I "rubbled up" some of the edges of the surviving walkways with kitty-litter and sand.

Here is a close-up of part of the base. I mounted the entire structure on 1/8" hardboard. Spackle was used to build up rubble piles. I added debris into these piles consisting of extra pieces from the kit, some plastic sprue and even a jewely chain(now a large industrial chain!). The base was textured with the aforementioned mix of kitty litter and sand; I painted all ground areas in a black basecoat and drybrushed three different shades of grade to highlight them.

No comments:

Post a Comment