Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Fallen Tree Terrain Tutorial

Having become very favorable to caulking as one of my newest favorite terrain-making material, I set out on an experimental piece.  I've seen some nice pre-fabbed over-sized fallen trees available and I wanted to see if I could make one myself- I was very happy with the results
The materials I used were as follows:
-Caulking(White DAP brand)
-Tin Foil
-Matting Board(for base)
-Sand/Kitty Litter(for earth texture)
1.I began by cutting out my base and then ripping off a 10" or so long piece of good old tin foil.  I scrunched it into the basic cylindrical shape of my fallen tree. 
2.I coated the foil roughly with caulking using a caulking gun.  Using a butter knife, I assured a smooth and complete coating of the tin foil form.
3.Using a toothpick, I engraved lines into the tree running the length of the piece to simulate a bark texture.  I also crafted some small knotholes.
4.I let the caulking dry, then based the piece with sand/kitty litter mix.  I added some small aquarium stones.  After painting I flocked the edges with static grass and added some small foliage.
The pic above gives a sense of scale.  I wanted the piece to represent and impressively large fallen tree that would provide cover to a nice-sized unit on the battlefield(although with the above method you could make trees or stumps of just about any size).  I am sure I will refine the technique but I like my initial results- especially for such a simple process.
For a complete video tutorial on this piece click on the links below...



3 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial, i Just made 6 large trees and 4 small ones for my game table.. cant wait for your next video

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi man

    Site not been updated for a while, jsut wanted to say that there are a few peopl eon the forums who are hoping all is well with you.

    Swing by the terrain thread on the forums if you get the time :)

    Cheers
    Lofty

    ReplyDelete